Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Putting the Plants to Bed

"Tuck them in and give them a kiss goodnight"

Ok, so I slacked a little bit again. To all of those DEVOTED dagger versus the world fans out there (the two of you ;P) I apologize.

There has been a lot of planting going on lately, or putting the plants to bed. I've now helped out the gardeners a few times with nightly planting, and everything that was germinating in the greenhouse is almost in the ground! I can't wait until harvest time!! I was talking with Christi, one of the farmers, and she said that in a few weeks there will be so much to choose from that I won't even know what to do with it all! Secretly... I think I will.

Planting is pretty simple. At Calypso seeds are germinated in soil blocks instead of the plastic six packs you normally see hanging around wasting space. So, when the germinated plants are transplanted to the garden a few trays of crops are taken out and each block is seperated and popped into holes in the ground that are about eight inches apart. Once the plants are in the ground they are put to bed... or covered with a mound of dirt pushed down very lightly. Edge also emphasized to me the importance of keeping the plants strait, so that when they grow tall the nutrients from the ground will have less distance to travel.

It is also important to note that all of the crops that we are planting have been "hardened off" and kelp dipped. The process of hardening off exposes the plants slowly to the light and colder environment, so that they aren't shocked when they are planted into the ground or get sunburned. The Kelp dip feeds the plant roots extra rich nutrients to keep them healthy until they are planted.

This is a perfect time to talk about how Calypso Farm's CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) works. I'm just fascinated by the whole thing. I don't know how many of you have bought shares in a CSA before, but if you haven't maybe you are just as clueless as I was before coming here. How it works is that the farm plants their crops with the number of families who have bought shares in mind. This can be a lot of math, but Christi said that they have figured out the number of "bed feet" to plant so that everybody gets enough salad and vegetables.

A "bed foot" is the standard length of a Calypso planting bed. The math goes something like... if there are 65 families who have bought CSA shares, then Calypso plants 25 extra crops to make sure that there is enough for them and the farm. I'm not quite sure about how many "bed feet" that is... but what I do know is that Calypso plants with extreme for thought. There are always different plants in each weeks harvest... but because Calypso knows that people like things like carrots, broccoli and salad a lot, they plant different varieties that mature at different times. So one week you might have a white carrot variety, and the next you might have an orange variety; or one week you might have the standard green broccoli (green magic) and the next the purple. Never the same. It sounds like an exciting eating experience!!

I guess I will just have to wait anxiously and watch all the plants grow from my perch in the weatherport... the sun is staying up pretty much all day long now though... so I think I won't have to wait long.

ps. there are new pictures posted!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, there is an organic farm cooperative near us that we had thought about signing on to - they do enlist subscribers early in the spring, as i recall, and you can sign up for weekly or bi-weekly poundage i believe. I don't know, it's kind of like deciding to use public transportation [not that my local Jewel grocery is anything like a bullet train]; i have trouble predicting what my needs might be. But it is a cool endeavor. So, we'll be able to add "Master Gardener" to your resume?
    john

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I'm so jealous, I want to go out there right this second. You've have inspired me in every way little sis ;)

    ReplyDelete