Sunday, October 18, 2009

SEATTLE AT LAST!

"We're taught to buy things we don't need, to impress people who don't give a shit"

I'll discuss this quote in a little bit, because this post is going to be a jumble of events and experiences running all the way back to September when Ali came to visit me in Alaska. There is so much to catch you up on... including leaving Calypso, traveling down to Seattle, and beginning my new job as an AmeriCorps volunteer. These monumental events in my life have included no shortage of adventures and new experiences. In fact it may just have been the most action packed, at times stressful, emotional roller coaster I've ever been on.

September in Alaska was beautiful (I can't believe how far away it seems now). The dry summer lasted almost until it snowed. Ali's visit was full of crystal clear sunny days. We seized our opportunity to explore the back trails of Calypso, berry pick with Addie, Elsie, Kara and Judy, listen to some local music... and explore Denali National Park!! I could write a whole blog entry about our visit to Denali (otherwise known as Mt. McKinley or "the great one"). But there is so much more to fill you all in on that I will only write a little.

The day we went into the park was one of the last sunny days in central AK. The sun was out and played beautifully off of the mountain's vivid peaks and crevices. Each time we caught a glimpse of Denali I could only imagine the wonder that inspired so many native legends about the mountain before white men claimed it during the gold rush. It is well known that Denali is an elusive mountain to view. Our bus driver explained that only 30% of visitors to the park ever get to see her. Ali and I were beyond lucky; we had clear views of her ALL DAY! My favorite part of the trip into the park (and Ali might say differently) was our hike up the ridge at Eielson Visitor Center. After eating our amazing homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, with carrots picked strait from the farm, we started our assent. It was only about a mile hike, but on a basically vertical trail. It was steep! But so worth the pain. At the top we could see, what felt like, clear across the park into the snow capped mountains. We were on top of the world. Seeing Denali was awing and inspiring. There are so few opportunities to see a place so natural, wild and beautiful these days and it was so special to be able to share it with one of the people I care most about.

Just a little under a month after Ali's visit I left Calypso Farm and Alaska... the catalyst event that caused the roller coaster I have been traveling on.

It is not that I am not enjoying Seattle. I have put a lot of thought into my conflicting feelings over the past few weeks, and this is what I've come up with. Calypso Farm taught me a lot about life and what it means to BE alive. For one, Calypso was an amazing community that seemed more true to the "real world" then anywhere else I have ever been. They live their lives for every moment, whether that be tending to the plants, taking the time to make meals from scratch, going on hiking, canoing or rock climbing adventures, and most importantly actually connecting to people. My experience there changed my whole perspective on what the "real world" is. When I left the farm I saw myself as returning to everyone else's life. It's a very odd feeling to REALLY SEE all of the shortcuts that people access everyday... me included. To try and rebel against that is tough, and it has been a constant battle for me to try and keep some of the habits I formed on the farm from disappearing. I also learned a lot of things about myself.
My moral is that you can't jump into a six month internship on a remote organic farm without it affecting you deeply ;). I never thought in April when I arrived in Fairbanks that I would be continuing to work with agriculture and food. Yet here I am in Seattle, a place where you can garden year round, continuing to teach kids about food and gardens. This brings me to the quote at the top of this entry. We are taught to live in a world where material goods are the meaning of life. Where money rules who we are, what we eat and who we are allowed to be friends with. But is that really life? and is this really the way we should be living??

Calypso was a step removed from this "normalcy." Money didn't seem to matter as much because we were living off of the garden, and people traded for many other things. At farmers markets with other vendors it was not uncommon to trade some vegetables for a tart, tomatoes or some sort of sauce. We also traded with a yoga instructor who came to the farm every week to teach in exchange for vegetables. Anywhere else we would've just paid for these things without giving any consideration to exchanging our own talents for payment.

Well. that's my tangent. And I think with that said, I am going to have to leave the rest of this story for my next post. I'm looking forward to writing you all about my ferry ride to Seattle and getting settled here over the past three months!

I have also uploaded new pictures to my Picasa album! Take a look!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment