Friday, July 2, 2010

How did this happen....

Well I guess when you're living life and having fun time flies....

I have to apologize (yet again) for my absence over the past months. I really enjoy taking the time to write on this blog, but my life in Seattle has been so fast paced, in comparison to Alaska, that I haven't been able to take the time to write-never mind think about what I would like to write about!! But I hope I'm turning over yet another leaf...

About a month after I arrived in Seattle I moved into a house on the north side of Green Lake; an urban oasis for Seattlites urning for a natural setting during the week before taking off for rural adventures on the weekends. The house was nice and in a great location, but for me something was not right. I never felt completely comfortable living there, and I always seemed to have complaints. I didn't feel comfortable inviting people over and was hardly ever in the house. So recently, on a whim, I moved to a house on the East side of the lake.

It is funny how moving just a handful of blocks can make you so much happier! Since moving I have felt more at home in Seattle than ever before. I don't mind staying at home during the week, and have finally been able to allow myself to take up old hobbies again; such as spinning yarn, reading and WRITING! But most importantly taking pleasure in in the time it takes to do these things.

The people in my new house also make it much easier to stay at home. My old roommates were not bad people, but their choices in life hadn't taken them in the same directions that mine have. I often got annoyed with the lack of community in the house and felt I was paying a gross amount for other's energy consumption. I also found myself holding back constantly because I didn't want to be "that crazy hippie roommate" forcing the ideals of environmentalism down my roommates throats. To top it all off I tried desperately to avoid conversations with my roommate Bart who liked to argue with me about the benefits/pitfalls of a growing consumer culture. Sorry... this post is turning into a mantra.

My new roommates don't live exactly the way I do, but at least they share some of my basic life choices- like composting and seeking out fresh local food. these are two things that over the past couple of years have just become no brainers for me. Seattle, more than most cities encourage these lifestyle choices. There are almost daily farmers markets in different parts of the city, and a WEEKLY compost pickup. That's right! compost is picked up and processed by the city of Seattle and then sold back to resident gardeners... AMAZING! Therefore it was that much harder for me to sit in a house where nobody cared.. for six months.

Exploring rooming situations is only one of the growing experiences I've had over the past year. Working in the P-Patch community garden program here has nurtured and grown my love of gardening and interest in food culture.

Stay tuned for more from the Great North West!

ps. I am working on compiling a picture album to share all the amazing moments I've had here with you-and my garden!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! look! I stuck to my word and read your blog. crazy huh?! Anyway, I just wanna say that I wanna live somewhere where composting and environmentalism are no-brainers!! I want environmentally-friendly behaviors to be the norm. That is all :) xxx

    ReplyDelete