Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Goodbye P-Patch....

I wrote this letter to send to all the lovely people I've met in the P-Patch program over the past ten months. It's a good update on what I've been up to as well...

Hello all,

Time has certainly flown over the past ten months and I can hardly believe that I am headed into my last week of my 2009/2010 AmeriCorps year of service. I have enjoyed getting to know many of you during my time in the Department of Neighborhoods P-Patch program, and it is with a little sadness that I leave you. The P-Patch program has taught me about community and what that means in a garden setting, as well as the importance of passing that gardening knowledge to our youth. I leave P-Patch eager to help youth garden programs continue to grow in the city of Seattle.

Here are a couple of quick facts about what I accomplished this year:
-Taught over 50 youth garden classes throughout Seattle
-Provided 5 garden and food systems workshops to elementary-high school youth
-Helped 4 new youth organizations find P-Patch Plots
-Organized the first Gardening with Youth P-Patch Summit
-Updated youth website and Listserv seasonally
-Wrote 2 articles on youth garden activities for the P-Patch Post
-Participated in numerous outreach events to spark youth interest in gardening
-Completed new updated Youth Resource Binder
- Helped connect 10 High School Service learners to projects in P-Patches

While I am leaving the Department of Neighborhoods P-Patch program, I am not leaving the gardening community. I will be headed back up to Alaska for a little over a month to help out the farm I worked on before coming here. Then I will be returning to Seattle in October. I hope to connect with many of you again in my future endeavors. If you would like to contact me before I leave please do so before August 6th. Otherwise please direct any questions to Kenya Fredie at Kenya.Fredie@seattle.gov and continue to check the P-Patch Youth webpage (http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/ppatch/youth.htm) for garden updates.

Keep doing the amazing work you do!

Happy gardening,

Jackie Dagger
Jaclyn.Dagger@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! my dear. Truly awesome!! Brava, well-done, gut gemacht :) I reeeeaaally hope I can come visit you while you're up there and see firsthand all the amazing things you've worked on and that Seattle has to offer - with an emphasis on food and wine of course!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would expect nothing less ;)! I'll start my list now.

    ReplyDelete